December 30, 2008

New year, new leaves...

I can't believe that 2008 is nearly over already, it seems to have passed by so quickly.  This point in the year lends itself so naturally to being a time to reflect, and that's the thing about writing a blog, it's all here, in the archives, a years worth of posts.  As we've been doing a bit of traveling and visiting over christmas, we've also had time to have more of those conversations, you know, the ones where Mr LK opens the top of my head, asks a few questions and then waits for something profound to happen.  He's actually very good to talk to about the important stuff, I've often thought about sticking him online here for a web chat!  He'd certainly open up some interesting thoughts for anyone who feels they were a bit stuck in a rut creatively. 

Our conversation last night was mostly about the future, our future, the house's future, his future and the future of Lucykate Crafts.  There is a lot I don't know the answer to yet, but one thing I do know, is how lucky I am right now.  Lucky to have had, and still be having this time at home, with the children and the time to try out Lucykate Crafts.  It hasn't always been like this, for 12 years I was the main breadwinner, I returned to work when Lucy was only 5 months old, she was with a childminder from 8 til 5, every day.  Everything came to a head when she called me by our childminders name, and we all knew in an instant, things had to change.  And change it did, now Mr LK brings home the bacon, and given that he essentially has 3 jobs, my official post in this house is to look after the family, make sure everyone is fed, happy, and the toilet is clean!  Any time spent on Lucykate Crafts is a real luxury and a joy for me, something to savour and expand.  So, what is going to change here in 2009?  Well, I suppose if I write it down, then I have to stick to it, right?!  So here goes, plans for 2009,

1.  I think I'd like to re-design the blog layout and colour scheme
2.  Learn how to use the graphics software I have in order to design a range of patterns
3.  Launch a range of patterns both in paper and PDF format
4.  Bring together my ideas for a craft book and refine the whole concept
5.  Launch a more official web site to sit in conjunction with my blog
6.  But firstly, I really want to revisit the eye patch tutorial.  I get emails regularly from grateful parents, who after struggling to get their child to cooperate with patching, have made one of these.  It is about time I followed it up with some more detailed instructions for a boys version.

As always, after christmas, there is a pile of new reading material to get me started...,

I love the format of Anna Maria Horner's book, it's like a little folder, a pocket at the back for patterns and is spiral bound inside.  There is something about books like that, that call out and say 'pick me up, open the pages and sew'!  

We're off on another trip in the next few days, so no doubt our in car conversation will continue and help me continue to develop my ideas and aspirations for Lucykate Crafts.  But for now, it's knitting (sewing for me) club tonight, and I have absolutely nothing ready to take along.  No unfinished projects, no softies on the go, nothing!.  I'm tempted to just fling some fabric in a hoop, grab some thread and a needle and embroider up a little stitchette design made up as I go along, what do you think?!

14 comments:

ginny said...

The end of a year is a perfect time to reasess. Looking forward to visiting the newly designed blog which I have enjoyed popping by this year.
Happy New year and Happy New creative endevours.
warm wishes
ginny x

JS KiM said...

Hi! I discovered your blog the other day and it's always exciting to see other crafters doing their thing. You've got a few books I've been eyeing. Such as Stitch in Time and Seams to Me. Not sure I've seen the More Softies one yet....Is the Guide to Success by McCall a collection of how-tos?

Kitty said...

Reflection just seems to come, even if we don't want it, doesn't it?

I'm looking forward to seeing your redesigned blog. I change the colours and header in mine regularly - I get a bit bored with it otherwise. Looking forward to your patterns too - I would definitely be interested in buying some.

Happy New Year to you and your family. I hope 2009 is very good to you.

x

ittybittyandpretty said...

check out my blog to see the trifecta of softies books that i recieved for christmas. now the challenge will be to actually make something from them!! i too love the one that is spiral bound and the patterns are at the back in a special pocket ~ couldnt get any easier than that!!
happy new year whatever you do i will be an avid fan xrosey

Ginger said...

Happy New year 2009 and Happy New creative endevours.Sure had fun with you making mushrooms and looking at your blog and great crafts.
warm wishes ginger

Becky J. said...

sometimes the less planned items turn out the best. good luck on next year. i recognize a few of those to-do items on my own. :)

Anonymous said...

like the resolutions.
I have the same job description as you!

All the best in 09 I look forward to sharing little bits of it with you!

Anonymous said...

The begining of a new year brings on many reflections of the last 12 months and those to come. Looking forward to your new look blog, wishing you a very Happy New Year!

Celia said...

Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful books! I added some to my wish list too!
Will wait for all your list to come true, specially everything related with your patterns! You can make a whole world of business with them if you want!

saraeden said...

All the best for 2009 !!!

Happy New Year !!!

Sara x

Anonymous said...

I just recently found your blog, and it think it is just so inspiring! I love your handmade items, they are just so precious. I am very thankful that you have the time to share these things with others.

Family does come first, and sometimes we have to sacrifice other things, but as time goes by (and it goes quickly!) you'll be glad you chose that path.

I hope that you reach all of your goals this year, and I look forward to reading your blog in the future. Happy New Year to you and your family!

Unknown said...

I've never seen anything quite so touching and creative as your eye patch tutorial ....

I can't wait to see more things from you in 2009 - your blog is such an inspiration and your ideas are always so original and beautiful. I look forward to you completing that craft book for sure!

Happy New year!

Mrs Moog said...

I love this time of year too. There is so much to look forward to with a whole new year ahead.

I hope your new year brings everything you wish for and more. It's been a joy to read your blog over the past year :-)

xxx

p.s. I love the Anna Maria Horner book too!!

Orjana said...

These books looks so.. juicy!! Especially the top one, where do you get them from?