August 12, 2009

Well, you could have knocked me down with a feather...,

or in this case, a bottle of wine!, but after all my moaning last week, just look at this...,

my children, (and husband!), frolicking in a field,

chasing butterflies and picking the odd wild flower.

We spent Saturday night under canvas, in a local field with a group of friends.  And, it has to be said, the person guilty of the most moaning was me.   I am not a natural camper, I went under duress, but I went nonetheless.  

Things I like about camping  ::  How excited Lucy and Luke were.  Overexcited.  I worried they were going to burst a blood vessel or something.  Watching them building dens out of branches and bundles of freshly cut grass.  And the fresh air.  I love the smell of fresh air.

Things I don't like about camping  ::  Earwigs.  I don't mind insects in general but really don't like earwigs.  Being the filling in a snoring sandwich between my husband and my son.  And lastly, waking up in the middle of the night and realising that the inflatable mattress which started out to be oh so comfy, has sprung a leak and is gradually going down, and down, and down!

14 comments:

Gluten Free Store Ltd www.glutenfreestore.co.nz said...

Oh camping. Im with you. It would be under duress. Good on ya though for being such a good sport!

WoolenSails said...

I love to camp, as long as my bed is above ground, lol. We have a tent camper, so it is camping, but a bit more comfortable;) I hate earwigs too. One year I woke up to something crawling on me, turned on the light and there were dozens of earwigs crawling on the canvas. Seems one of the chairs we had stored over the winter, had a nest and they had hatched or whatever they do, so that was not a pleasant night, even though I made my husband kill them all;)

Debbie

silverpebble said...

I'm coming rounjd to the idea of camping more and more - I share your dislikes but the rest sounds idyllic. Love the summery photos!

Miaou said...

Ha yes, I'm not a natural camper, but well done you lot on making the most of the good weather and getting out there! We have talked the talk all summer and yet, with less than a week to go till school starts, we still haven't spent a night out under the stars ...

Charlotte Hupfield Ceramics said...

I'm with you on the earwigs! What a funny name for an insect too, the more I look at that word after typing it, it doesn't seem right!

Love your blog, look forward to reading future posts!

Charlotte - your new follower :)

Needled Mom said...

Oh yes....camping....but the memories for the children will be worth it all.

Anonymous said...

Oooh fab sunny pictures :-)

I have to admit I think I would have a hard time camping, much for the same reasons as you!

Rose XXX

willywagtail said...

O dear. I think blow up matresses are made to come down. I have pumped up a few after 3 in the morning too. Your last photo has the look of an impressioist painting at first glance. At least to me. Lovely.

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

I'd have to say I am with you sista on what I don't love...:)

Troy Louise said...

Oh, what fun for the kids anyway. I don't mind camping for a night or two. My husband is Mr. Outdoors, so it is something we do quite often. Luckily, I've never experienced those dreaded earwigs while camping! Thanks for sharing.

x vInTaGe VioLeT x said...

my kids would love to go camping but i really really hate it!
and i'm so with you on earwigs evil little creatures!
the photo's are lovely, remind me of the 70's !

Yarni Gras! said...

camping is out with me too.....but those PHOTOS are so WORTH IT!

Unknown said...

I love the 'idea' of camping - but the reality is often much different ;-) I do fondly remember camping with the girl guides - that was fun! I was so pleased to see you included in the Accord craft calendar - you deserve your own book I think ... your ideas are so good.

Unknown said...

I'm coming rounjd to the idea of camping more and more - I share your dislikes but the rest sounds idyllic.

--
Jhon
Wireless Home Alarm Security Systems